Saturday, November 18, 2023

Practical Reflections, Hearing From God

 I've been talking to, talking with, and hearing from God a lot lately.  It's never really ever stopped, but lately, there is an imploring and a reaching out, both ways.  The foreboding sense generally lends credence to the impetus.

I heard Him say "Open now one of your favorite little, falling apart, held together with a rubber band ancient books to a 'random' page and type what is there, someone needs to hear it."  

So I will, and am now to do it.

(I'm looking at it now.  It is page 428 under the heading "Practical Reflections"):

---------------------------------------------

"'If any man will come after Me, says our divine Redeemer, let him deny himself and let him take up his cross daily, and follow Me.'  In this is included the whole practice of a Christian life, and the way marked out by which we may securely go to eternal salvation, for Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life; the way we must follow, the truth we must believe, and the life we must hope for.  

To live as Christians, and to secure salvation, we must begin by renouncing and dying to ourselves; for this renunciation--this spirit of self-denial--is the first principle of the gospel, the fundamental law of Christianity, our most essential duty, and the most effectual means of obtaining salvation.  It is this interior mortification, this circumcision of the heart, this retrenchment of all criminal, dangerous, or useless indulgences, which constitutes the difference between the elect and the reprobate.  The character of our present sinful state should be that of penance, which is the end of Christianity and the assurance of salvation.

To carry our cross with Jesus Christ, is to suffer from all, while we are careful not to become the cause of suffering in others; it is to receive all pains of body and mind as coming from above; it is to endure with patience all the evils which happen to us from the justice of God or the injustice of man; it is to accept of contempt as our due, and to consider it our greatest misfortune to suffer nothing for God, but our sovereign happiness to suffer always for His love."

 

2 comments:

Jesus is KING said...

I really feel this speaking to me. I am widowed (the right word for a man?) with 7 small children and my health has been hit hard too from trying to hold it all together. I don't wanna complain but it is tough. This really helps as I go forth now and embrace my suffering and know that it is something I have to accept and embrace and not complain. I need to put others first and not have any wants (or as little as possible)

God Speed

Steven

Lee in TN said...

Thank you Brother Thomas! Perhaps (quite likely) it was for me (not trying to be vain) that you were asked to post this passage, which is from Thomas A Kempis (love some T A'K!!).

I certainly need to heed this command and God understood I needed to hear and abide!

CHAPTER 56: THAT WE OUGHT TO DENY OURSELVES,
AND IMITATE CROSS BY THE CROSS
http://www.catholictradition.org/Classics/christ4-56.htm

Blessings always, and especially THANKFUL for all you do!

Lee

Brother Thomas ©2005

MySpace Tracker