Sunday, March 31, 2024

Encounters With Jesus (pt. 2)

 Recalling . . . . So, we were in a sort of bazaar, ancient middle eastern times, architecture, people milling about.  They are milling about because The Teacher is holding class.  There are shops and walkways . . . but we are in a sort of covered area with trellises, it's shady in the inner courtyard area near this one of the various little buildings made of stucco, solid.  Vines and leafage cover the tops so that it is shady and cool all about.

People are hovering, standing around in some sort of anticipation that something is afoot--someone important is inside the nearest little rectangle, mud/stucco building I am also in front of.  There is basic daily banter, gossip, lunchtime talk going on, and it does seem a bit crowded around this particular place, as if someone important was inside--respectful anticipation is in the air. 

There is a subtle, but intense excitement amongst the gathered, as if some fans were waiting on a celebrity, or a notable--someone notable within who is about to come out, appear from the little room/building, where the door is tightly shut because something scheduled is going on inside. . . .

Well, and I was near the entrance, just outside that door.  It was known and understood that a class was underway.  This was a classroom and students, pupils were inside being given instruction.

There was a deferential, but slightly roiling anticipatory vibe in the air as everyone milled about, chatting, while looking towards the door.  THEN, one fellow near me--a younger kind of wild, eager fellow suddenly rushed up to that little circular, vine covered along the edges window, to swiftly peak in.  It was a small window, round about the size of a small pizza, with fresh green vines around the edges, slightly inset, but up high enough that he had to get on tippy-toes and hop a bit to look in.  He dropped down after the leap-and-and-look, with an excited, smiling expression, saying, "He's there!  He's in there!"

I was near this young man and the window and I suddenly couldn't resist taking a look myself, and  there was the overall sense that it was ok to quick take a gander in, so long as one wasn't causing a self-serving distraction.  In fact, it was intended and allowed that the genuinely intrigued, milling people about should be able to take a peek into the room, if drawn to, and daring enough and willing to make the effort.  It was all cool.  There were no bouncers.  Everyone there, while chatting about day-to-day stuff, all had a respectful air and self-awareness of the scene, the import, albeit in such a basic, humble, daily milieu.

So I did quick move to the window, haul myself up by my fingers a few inches above tippy-toe, and see into the room where He was, grabbing the rough whitish stucco window ledge to pull myself up a few more inches, and saw a small classroom full of attentive, disciplined pupils, students.  

They seemed about ages 4-12, sitting at "desks" of a rustic, wood and clay type (which I have never seen before).  

And there He was . . . at the front of the class, center, but in front of the podium and "blackboard" in the back behind Him where another, regular "teacher" would usually be teaching from....

He is sitting on a slight clay/wood-constructed stool in front of the podium, on the students level, (well, and it looked like a type of miniature throne--not ostentatious, but humbly, subtly in a throne/chair style . . . .  He is in an off-whitish robe/cloak with some soft-worn gold/beige bands on the sleeves, cuffs--it's clean, not brand-new crisp, just comfortably used.  

He looked like Jesus--medium long, slightly wavy brownish hair to His shoulders, the mustache/beard, about 33-35 years old. . . . He was just wrapping up the lesson, I could tell, as He appeared to be making some sort of closing comments and then the students started to subtlety shuffle in their seats, as students do, just as they do when they know class is ending. . . . 

He looked very sweet, very calm, yet very in charge, while very at ease, and started to get up to leave.  I FELT He noticed me looking through the window, and that He was aware that others had too, and that it was just fine and actually expected and intended, although He didn't direct look.  It was a body language type of communication and sense. . . .

Then I dropped back down, having had my brief glimpse, grateful to have had it!  

I WAS very interested to analyze His face, to see if He looked like all the paintings/depictions that are common, which I/we have long seen.  And I would say YES!  Very much so... BUT . . . a little different than any I have ever seen before.  

And I must be honest, I was slightly disappointed!  But happily so! 

How can I describe!?

Well, I'll try!  

His nose was not as aquiline/anglo as is usually depicted. And in general, there was nothing striking as far a facial "beauty" goes in the modern sense--like a model, or actor.  He was "average" looking.  I would say, the epitome of "average" looking. Not ugly.  Not beautiful.  Not striking in any kind of alarming way (ie., He wasn't unusually handsome, nor was He unusually odd or unattractive looking.)

It was His charisma, His subtle sweet charm that was striking, considering the expectation that one might have.

Anyway, the students came out of the door, class over . . . then He came out amidst the murmuring hubbub, the people outside the room milling about expectantly, as they, we, all excitedly turned to and focused on Him, as He humbly exited and and went about going on His way.  

A few of the more excited among us pressed against Him to get a glance, a word, to say something, to hear something.... I pressed close, about a foot away within the crowd, just wanting to get a closer look at His face again.  I felt He was aware of me wanting to get close and it was welcome, and He also was welcoming of the others who, like me, wanted to get close but not wanting to take up too much of His precious time; for it was known that He was on his way to do other things, "appointments", other gatherings to meet.

Overall, there was an atmosphere--in that shaded, vine-covered, cool garden courtyard--of graciousness, compassion, understanding, patience, intention, comradery, respect, awe. . . .

 He went on His way, slowly but intently, with a few of His close fellows accompanying; and we, left there, were all fully satisfied with this brief, subtle but intense encounter.

-------

That is the end of that recall; other than that I could carry on more about His physical features--but what was clear at the time, is that that (His physical features) was mostly incidental, compared to the deeper experience of His presence and the understanding of the scene. . . .

Well, I will say one more thing, as it was one of the foremost and instant observations I had. . . .

When I glanced through the window and saw Him on his teacher chair/mini-throne, what I saw was a man in physical form.  But within the man, I Saw . . . an infinity endless space.  In a metaphysical sense, there was no "man" there, although there obviously was.  

It is pretty much impossible to convey, without words getting in the way and distracting.  I will just say, it was like . . . a man is there, who looks like Jesus, yet, He is empty.  Meaning . . . He was a vessel, a form . . . for a vast emptiness, cosmic space.  No ego.  No earthly accoutrements. . . .  There was a form, a shell and He did look and act like Jesus as we have read and heard of Him.  But within that physical form . . . was a "universe" so-to-speak. . . .

----------------

Next I want to relate the other couple encounters, just as intense in their own way.  

But this one is fresh, unexpected and both subtle and profound and I am just wanting to quick get it into writing while I can.  

God bless< I pray, to strengthen and continue to sanctify you!


   

1 comment:

Greg said...

This vision is very intriguing. I look forward to reading more. I appreciate your heart for God. The love, awe and fear that you express is wonderful.

Greg

Brother Thomas ©2005

MySpace Tracker