Tuesday, November 15, 2016

It's A Harsh Diving Line

What can God do for me?  Does being a Christian give me a better life, get me blessings, help me get ahead in the world?  If I go with Jesus, maybe I'll finally get what I want--things will start going my way. . . .

It's a hard line, a subtle difference on the face of it, but a gulf of a distance in reality. . . .

Who do we really love and serve?  When you are in love with someone--in those early, heady, passion-filled days . . . you are not thinking, "what can this person do for me?" . . . "where will loving this soul get me" . . . "if I love ____ then I will start getting blessings" . . . No, instead, all you think is . . . is of the other person.  You are focused on them and simply want THEM to be happy, served, blessed.  You lose yourself in love of the other.

This is how it should be with God.  We should be so loving of Him that we never get to the calculations of what He can do for us.  We ought be thinking only of what we can do FOR HIM.  How to please, how to serve, even how to worship Him. 

Many who claim love of God never even get to this point.  It falls short.  It is more about "what can God do for me?"  If I can see that "loving" and serving God will help ME in my life, THEN I will do it.

This is what separates the true versus the false disciple. . . .

It is a startling thing to ponder, to face honestly--just what is it that we are doing?  I dare say most churches play to the selfish desire to use God and church for personal, ego-centered ends.  Worship and love of God is but a show.  Hiding behind the show is actually just idolatry--seeking after and serving a false god one imagines will be beneficial to the self; rather than one being utterly lost in desperate, passionate, worshipful love of The Creator.....

No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker