Sunday, April 3, 2016

Nostalgia Act

Until I have my music blog up and running, this spot will have to do.  I love music--writing and performing it, recording . . . and listening to it and all the history of it, the musicians and bands, their stories, recording techniques etc.  I've been into from the earliest age; I remember when I lived with my newly single working mother, alone . . . in a little apartment house on "D" street on the "avenues" near downtown Salt Lake and just a couple blocks from I was born and my mother worked.  I was in nursery school and then kindergarten and then they wanted to skip me 2 grades up, but we thought that was too much, so I skipped to 1st grade. . . . I remember riding on the school bus and one of the older kids pulled out his trumpet and started playing "Hey Jude" by the Beatles, which everyone started singing.  I remember loving some of the music my mom played on the stereo(she is a great singer who could herself had had a real career in music--was asked to tour as a singer with Bette Midler).  I would put on my Hai Karate cologne, turtle-neck and pretend I was James Bond or James Coburn (my earliest favorite celebrity) as "Flint" . . . listening to the Carpenters and especially I loved all the Burt Bacharach music sung by Dionne Warwick . . . and the band "Brazil 66".  this was all around the time 1967-68). . . .
I remember one time being invited into the somewhat scary neighbor's home (they had kind of wild looking kids with long hair and hippie posters and black lights in their room) . . . and listening to "Inna Godda Davida" and then "Black Magic Woman" by Santana.  I remember thinking that music seemed dark and dangerous and I really didn't want to pursue it further.

I recall waiting for and loving the melodic melancholy sound of "Eleanor Rigby" on my grandmother's stereo console.  Also "Yellow Submarine" and "Good Day Sunshine". . . . Probably the most thrilling thing at the movies I recall very early on, which captured my imagination was seeing "Bye Bye Birdie" with my aunt Launie.

Tom Jones became probably my next favorite celebrity.  In third grade, on Halloween, as I loved animals and especially was fascinated by monkeys, chimps, "Lancelot Link" and Bigfoot, my mom made me a gorilla costume to wear . . . but it was so hot and I go so dehydrated, lol, that I was too sick to go trick or treating but instead stayed home and excited to watch a Tom Jones television show/performance that happened to be on. . . . From that early age, I wanted to be a singer and play music on stage. . . .

In 4th grade I latched on to "Three Dog Night" and they become my most favorite of all bands and I use to fantasize and actually organize my first band, imagining which of my classmates at my school could play the role of Cory, Chuck (I wanted to be Danny Hutton who sang "Liar" and "Black & White" around that time.)  "Hold Your Head Up" and "Brandy" were also big favorites of mine at that time.  I use to study the backs of the albums and liner notes to figure out who played what instruments, who sang lead and back-up . . . and even who produced the records. . . .

My first attempts at writing and recording my own songs came around 5th-6th grade.  I had a little organ which I played in my room and use to set up two cassette recording decks to make a kind of "multi-track" recording situation. . . . I would find the Muzak channel, which played only instrumental stuff and I would have my friend and I singing over it with lyrics I had written. 

About that time, my step father Gordon, let me have his old reel-to-reel tape machine and I quickly figured out how to do a kind of multitracking with it, recording something on the left channel and then on the right, then bouncing that to the cassette recorder while adding another live track . . . then doing that all again, putting it back on the reel-to-reel deck.  I could get up to about 6 tracks of voices/instruments until the quality got just to terrible from all the "pinging" and "bouncing" degradation that tended to accrue. . . .

Oh dear, I could go on and on . . . and probably will on my music blog, which will be dedicated solely to this kind of stuff.  I know it's not everybody's bag, but I do know that there are others also who love to talk about music, listening to it, the various histories of music types and scenes, and even recording processes/techniques.  I know that often when Zeph and I have a conversation it usually ends up in a discussion of music and different new music ideas and recording techniques and equipment, lol. . . .

But now I've got to dash off to church, which is quite a commute away.... But actually have somewhere I'm going with this reminiscing ramble. . .

God Bless you... and YOU . . . and you and you and you!

No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker