Monday, April 4, 2016

Major Tom Has Landed....

[For fear that some might not want to slog through backstory below here is the punchline snippet:
"I don't know how I am going to pull it off, but I need to get some basic promotional and press material together so that I can start booking gigs.  Summer is the big season for the type of show I have in mind.  I have scheduled time at a local facility where we can do something like a dress rehearsal of the songs we have worked out so far.  For an extremely reasonable price they provide a big room, stage, lighting and sound system with an engineer so you can run through your material as if it were a live set.  I am also bringing a professional photographer to that session and plan to shoot some video of the performance so as to be able to pull out some video clips for a brief promo video, along with band photographs--with all of this producing some basic, initial publicity content so I can put a website together for the band (using the resultant video and photos, assuming they come out well enough to utilize.)

With the general "Kickstarter" motif in mind, where contributors get special perks/access etc., I need to pull together about $500 dollars above what I've cobbled up so far to make this important night happen.  
Any "pre-fans" out there? lol..... For anyone who would be so generous as to help out toward this goal, I will provide access to some of the behind the scenes footage I've already recorded (ie., a startling blues jam that we spontaneously got into one practice night which shows off these musician's skills) . . . plus some unpublished video excerpts from the live, upcoming "dress rehearsal" session I've set for April 13th.  I will also keep any benefactors in mind for special future access and band "swag" to follow like t-shirts, recordings, limited edition posters/fliers etc.

Until I get a dedicated music site(s) and social media up and rolling, this is my only place for now to talk about this and look for any support."]
------------------------------------------------------------------


So to the issue at hand. . . . I've been housepainting for around 30 years.  Lots of toxic exposure over that time, which could be the major factor in my now chronic migraines.  It would be wonderful if I could move out of that occupation and get back to where my talents and interests lie if possible, God willing.

I hardly dare to hope--as I've met with so many road-blocks in the past, including self-imposed detours--that this budding music project may be the avenue out.  But I must say, and everyone involved recognizes the same thing, that this thing has an urgent momentum and has fallen into place far beyond initial expectations.

It started last summer when my cousin Brady (a great guy and a great bass player) and I talked at a family reunion about getting a band together after the new year (of 2016).  Fast forward to when my son Jackson called me up the morning after Bowie died to ask if I'd sing and play (guitar) with him at a show that night,doing the Bowie song "Heroes" . . . at the music showcase club Velour in Provo, UT.  Which, although being quite rusty both vocally and guitar-wise, I did and turned out to be a surprisingly popular and well received performance.

Pretty much immediately I set about trying to find musicians (along with Brady) to put the band together revolving around a basic creative vision I had for the project.  Not having been on the local music "scene" for a long time, it was starting from scratch.  Brady was the only person I had.

Well, incredibly (I say "incredibly" because I've put bands and recording projects together quite a few times before and know how tedious and difficult it is to find the right people, with the right personalities who are also able to play at a high standard) . . . by March 16th, approximately 2 months after beginning my search . . . I had 6 guys (including myself) ready to meet for the first time and try our hand at the songs.
 
It's been only 3 weeks since then and we have roughly 12 songs (difficult songs with lots of detailed chord progressions, breaks and dynamics) down well enough that we already could, if we wanted, be able to perform them live and pull off a decent show.  My goal is to have a specific list of 25 songs, plus a pre-recorded soundscape-intro . . . which will provide a 2 and a half hour show.

I've read/heard many accounts of renowned groups talk about how when they first got together they knew they had something special immediately.  Everything clicks and there is already a sense of inevitability and momentum that takes hold at once. . . .

Again, I barely dare say it (and I'm trusting God regardless of which way it goes) but that elusive quality of being a part of something special . . . really seems to be around this endeavor.  The players I have assembled are all mature, level-headed, responsible musicians and are no doubt the most talented bunch I've ever had together at one time.  Even they are remarking how quickly and proficiently this thing is coming together.  A few were somewhat skeptical at first and were only committed to "give it a try"  to see if it was going to be worth signing onto . . . but now (God willing) they all seem to be getting excited and are equally pleasantly surprised how well we all work together and especially how fast the progress is going.

Myself, I am finding within an unusual and sudden sense of urgency to make this project work and get on its feet fast.  I imagine this urgency could come from various unseen contingencies in the offing--ie., the state of the world, our country . . . and/or personal and familial (health?) issues that could be looming where it makes this effort critical for its need to succeed and sooner rather than later. . . . Plus, I surely ain't gettin' any younger. Something is there, I know, and I find I am being propelled, fired up with a powerful, new, positive energy and focus . . . unlike anything really I've had before . . . to see this operation materialize and pronto. . . .

I also have no doubt that God is in this.  I am staying close to Him throughout and He has shown me how this could be a great "instrument" overall for Gospel ministry and influence, though it may not appear so obvious on the surface as such.  "In the world but not of it", reaching those who need it most and who otherwise might not have come into contact with it (the Gospel).

At some point, I may need to do some type of "crowd-funding" "kickstart" campaign to take it to the next levels but for now I am on the ground floor and only able to work with very little.  Very shoe-string.  Most my own equipment is old, half broken and fairly cheap stuff to being with.  Hopefully, upgrades will happen as it move along.

I don't know how I am going to pull it off, but I need to get some basic promotional and press material together so that I can start booking gigs.  Summer is the big season for the type of show I have in mind.  I have scheduled time at a local facility where we can do something like a dress rehearsal of the songs we have worked out so far.  For an extremely reasonable price they provide a big room, stage, lighting and sound system with an engineer so you can run through your material as if it were a live set.  I am also bringing a professional photographer to that session and plan to shoot some video of the performance so as to be able to pull out some video clips for a brief promo video, along with band photographs--with all of this producing some basic, initial publicity content so I can put a website together for the band (using the resultant video and photos, assuming they come out well enough to utilize.)

With the general "Kickstarter" motif in mind, where contributors get special perks/access etc., I need to pull together about $500 dollars above what I've cobbled up so far to make this important night happen. 
Any "pre-fans" out there? lol..... For anyone who would be so generous as to help out toward this goal, I will provide access to some of the behind the scenes footage I've already recorded (ie., a startling blues jam that we spontaneously got into one practice night which shows off these musician's skills) . . . plus some unpublished video excerpts from the live, upcoming "dress rehearsal" session I've set for April 13th.  I will also keep any benefactors in mind for special future access and band "swag" to follow like t-shirts, recordings, limited edition posters/fliers etc.

Until I get a dedicated music site(s) and social media up and rolling, this is my only place for now to talk about this and look for any support.

Regardless, of course, God bless and protect and guide you always, I am always praying; take care.
Bro T/"Major Tom";)


No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker