Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I'm Baaack In The Saddle Again. . . .

Sooo . . . well, last summer i attended a family reunion of sorts (on my mother's side, which side I had the most to do with) . . . seeing all my many cousins, aunts, uncles . . . and their multitudinous children (they are all, for the most part, LDS church goers) . . . fun, quirky, creative people with several serious musicians in the bunch. . . . And I talked to Brady, my cousin, who is a bass player and who I've had record on a number of my songs in the past ("Don't Tread On Me, Swan Song, I'll Play You", "Transhuman Psychotronic" and more....

He is a great bassist and super great guy all around--sweet natured, quiet, dry humored, always friendly . . . and has been playing around town for years, mostly in blues and jazz outfits, with some power rock here and there. . . .

Anyway, he said we ought to try to put a little act together when his schedule cleared a bit, after 2016 began sometime....

Then, Jackson called me on the spot the day after Bowie died and I joined him in his band's performance at Velour music club in Provo that night . . . and found, after years of relative musical inactivity, I could still get it going....

And then, based on Brady's and my earlier conversation . . . I got a whole "vision" (with a small "v":) of a plan and the day after the Velour show started working on it.

Now, I've been out of the "scene" for a long time.  In fact, I never really was IN the "scene" because I mostly focused on studio recording versus playing out about town . . . but I did still have a lot of contacts and was up to speed on the latest musical/technological developments--at the forefront, in fact (composing, recording, engineering on the first, IF NOT the first all digital audio  movie soundtracks/post-productions done for film). . . .

But, it's been a while... and am now a grandpa and stuff, heh...

Nevertheless, I went back to work on my music project idea . . . and am glad to say that since the Velour/Bowie show with Jack . . . I've put together a band!  All pros--top musicians!  Drums, Bass, Guitar, Keyboards, Me, Sax/bg vocals.... And tomorrow night is our first rehearsal.  I know all of these guys might not work out--especially considering where and how far I want to take the project...but I'm hoping at least this bunch can launch it....

It's really quite amazing and thrilling.. to have pulled these fellows together, only one I really know (cousin Brady) .... in just a month and half or so time. . . . But I feel like it's got a flow and energy behind that is working, compared to other times I've tried to get a group together and it just seemed like pushing a boulder up a hill ... backwards... the whole time. . . .

I am hoping, praying . . . this works out the way I envision it, as I need a break to get on top of a number of things and be able to utilize my talents and (I hate the cliche') my "passion", heh....

But it's true.  I love music.  I love creating it, performing it, thinking about, working on it... the whole thing...and my creative side has been dying, held back for so long . . . while I've attended to familial and regular life drudgery responsibilities. . . .

I am staying close to God throughout this effort, knowing the dangers and pitfalls of the music biz well. . . . And feel closer than ever to Him, seeking His guidance and protection always. . . . I see great Gospel sharing possibilities and exemplification opportunities as it progresses, God willing that it does; though to the shallow and undiscerning it might not appear so. . .  More on that later . . . if need be. . . .

We shall see . . . we shall see. . . . Praise God. . . .

Now, here is a "bootleg" of a music video I made waaay back in '88. . . . For some reason i can't get into my Youtube account... can't figure out why... So I put this vid on Vimeo... and I've got a couple other classic/vintage clips as well which I will be uploading shortly. . . . And someday I will be able to put up a better quality version of these....fwiw.... :)

Take cake, God bless...

https://vimeo.com/home/myvideos

No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker