Sunday, February 14, 2016

Beware Fanciful Theories

“Beware of manufacturing a God of your own: a God who is all mercy, but not just; a God who is all love, but not holy; a God who as a heaven for every body, but a hell for none; a God who can allow good and bad to be side by side in time, but will make no distinction between good and broad in eternity. Such a God is an idol of your own, as truly an idol as any snake or crocodile in an Egyptian temple. The hands of your own fancy and sentimentality have made him. He is not the God of the Bible, and beside the God of the Bible there is no God at all.”

 “There is a common, worldly kind of Christianity in this day, which many have, and think they have enough-a cheap Christianity which offends nobody, and requires no sacrifice-which costs nothing, and is worth nothing.”

 “Holiness is the habit of being of one mind with God, according as we find His mind described in Scripture. It is the habit of agreeing in God's judgment, hating what He hates, loving what He loves, and measuring everything in this world by the standard of His Word.”

 “Laughter, ridicule, opposition and persecution are often the only reward which Christ’s followers get from the world.”

 “Next to praying there is nothing so important in practical religion as Bible reading. By reading that book we may learn what to believe, what to be, and what to do; how to live with comfort, and how to die in peace.  Happy is that man who possesses a Bible! Happier still is he who reads it! Happiest of all is he who not only reads it, but obeys it, and makes it the rule of his faith and practice!”

 “Hearken, my believing reader. What is the cause of your weakness? Is it not because the fountain of life is little used? Is it not because you are resting on old experiences, and not daily gathering new manna—daily drawing new strength from Christ?”

 “. . . Beware of being wise above that which is written. Beware of forming fanciful theories of your own, and then trying to make the Bible square with them. Beware of making selections from your Bible to suit your taste. Dare not to say, ‘I believe this verse, for I like it. I refuse that, for I cannot reconcile it with my views.’ Nay! but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? By what right do you talk in this way? Surely it were better to say, over every chapter in the word, ‘Speak, Lord, for thy servant heareth.’ Ah! if men would do this, they would never deny the unquenchable fire.”


J.C. Ryle

2 comments:

Mark said...

Put off ones ornaments(theories)

Anonymous said...

Me personally I don't think I can know GOd without the bible however I've misinterpreted that book so many times, in ways that it even caused me to need to get away from god(or my interpretation of Him)...without the Holy Spirit I think that book can really harm a person. At this point I'm really an outsider observer when it comes to Jesus...I know some things, have even fewer experiences and still an observer trying to make sense of it all. I know JEsus is the most High but I can't figure out this walk and where I belong...At t times I just want to become part of some other religion as the deities are real and I just feel like it's an easier walk for me but at the end of the day there's just something about JEsus. As they say come holy spirit ,come. Otherwise I will never figure it out.

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker