Monday, January 18, 2016

Love/Hate Not Mutually Exclusive

And how to love enemies?  Well, for one thing . . . the term "love" does not in this case mean the same feeling that one has for ie., a spouse or one's child or dearest friend.  We "love" our child in a different way than when we say we love steak or "love golf". . . .

But aside from that . . . I've come to see it like this. . . .

Because I love God and recognize His complete and perfect sovereignty over all His creatures, when I look at said creatures . . . I see God's purposes and property.  We are not our own, we are God's. . . .

Because I love God I love what He does, I love all His creations and intent.  That there are "enemies" in the first place . . . means that He has a perfect, good, loving reason to have allowed that there be "enemies" . . . and so, while I must oppose them and stand for His cause because I am FOR Him I also know that in an ultimate sense there is nothing wrong or disastrous in the fact that this world has been created and allowed to be . . . so that such "enemies" are profuse. 

Let's say I am an artist and I decide to create a sculpture that powerfully and clearly depicts what evil looks like and what its about.  And I spend many long, dedicated and even, yes LOVING hours crafting the sculpture to as perfectly represent the meaning and existence of evil looks like.  I care--even passionately--about my handiwork.  And I am doing this for a high, good purpose . . . to show and warn others how dangerous and wicked evil is and why it should be avoided and renounced. . . .

Now, the object of my artistic design will look horrific, repulsive, ugly, dark, ominous. . . . YET, because it is the result of my extreme attention and efforts and intent . . . I can "love" the work of art--it is mine, my creation . . . while at the same time I do not love what it represents.  In fact, I hate what it represents, which is the purpose for my having gone to the painstaking care to make it, to put it on display. . . .

Is God love?  Does He have a general love for all His creation?  Yes, because it is all fulfilling His intention, His will. . . .

At the same time "the Lord HATES . . .  haughty eyes, a lying tongue, and hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that run rapidly to evil . . . false witness who utters lies, and one who spreads strife among brothers."  --Prov. 6:16-19

I can "love" my enemies . . . because I love God.  I love God's will (so far as human fallibility allows) and so . . . I can love His creatures and creation . . . while at the same time hating what He hates--what evil (enemies) in this case represent. . . .




No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker