Tuesday, January 12, 2016

"Heroes . . . Just For One Day. . . ."


Well, yes Bowie's departure from the stage. . . . We were just talking about him and his new album, listening to it and analyzing things with Jackson & Megan Sunday night (when he died) and talking about Jack's musical direction with his new stuff., giving advice . . . which he was asking for. . . .
Anyway, maybe I will give some thoughts on this later, though I don't think it's probably a much cared for topic 'round these parts . . . but I had mentioned to my wife this morning how Bowie's passing . . . I felt . . . might in a . . . hmmm--should I really share this?. . . not likely to be believed or understood--. . . . um . . . well, would end something like a "soul tie" (curse? block? spell?) that has been over my life. . . .
Yeah . . . I could probably write a book on my theories and observations and suspicions re this . . . but . . . ok, besides all that, Jackson happened to be playing a show last night at the big music club in Provo "Velour Live Music Gallery" because . . . when they played on Saturday it was sold out and fans lined up around the block couldn't get in.  So they are were called to do another show Monday night with the same other two bands who played (one of the "The National Parks" who are kinda blowing up right now and will have a regular song feature on American Idol this season, among other things) https://www.facebook.com/thenationalparksmusic
Also playing was the band Brumby--they were great btw, a really fun band to watch who obviously enjoyed what they were doing... https://www.facebook.com/brumbymusic

[From Velour's Facebook page:  "Tonight @westwardthetide opened their set with a special guest to pay tribute to David Bowie, who played an important role in their musical development and relationships- it was a true treasure to see @lafrantz on stage with his father and @meggsies. And Bowie! 💥💥"   https://www.facebook.com/VelourLive/?fref=nf

Sooo . . . Jack called me Monday morning . . . while I just happened to be watching Bowie's spooky video "Lazarus" . . . which I hadn't seen yet, but having heard the news of his passing . . . and told me his band was going to open the show with Bowie's "Heroes" song in tribute.  And Jack asked if I would like to come on stage and sing it with them!  Which, yes, of course I did!  I went to work, came home a little early and we figured out the song in my basement a couple of hours before the show (Jack, Megan & I)....(Meagan=Jackson's Wife]
. . . And well, I havn't played live in quite a while, nor practiced in a long time and so was feeling a tad old and rusty (especially considering Velour is a very hip, /all ages--as in young--crowd scene, having broken out or featured several now big time acts from Provo (Imagine Dragons, Neon Trees, Sarah Bareilles, Geoerge Ryan Bingham, Lindsay Sterling)....
But wow... Even though I wasn't thrilled with my performance, turns out a lot of people in that packed house were quite touched by the whole affair.  Well, they already love Jack and his band so I was in good company.. but I heard later that many people were crying through the song, the emotion of losing the artist Bowie so fresh and the father and son thing (and daughter-in-law) on stage... It turned out a very special night....and surprisingly (to me at least) great reviews came in on my part ("you sound just like him!")....
It was all quite nice and an out-of-the-blue encouragement amidst the slog and slug of grinding daily life.....
All very sudden, exciting, intense, and . . . suddenly gone......
Anyhow, here some video Isaac took of the event....



2 comments:

ROGER said...

WOW.. Wonderful.. Beautiful..

Lee in TN said...

Bro T -
Kudos to you and Jackson working up the arrangement on Bowie's "Heroes" - Fantastic!

And yeah, the spot-on vocals on one of my favorite Bowie tunes did bring me to tears thinking about his music & death, and seeing and hearing father & son do this amazing rendition live.

Thanks for sharing this with us! Blessings - Lee

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker