Friday, October 9, 2015

Though Behind Enemy Lines

The prayerful Christian soldier. . . . For we are soldiers, every believing one in this world as we battle constantly, strangers in this land behind enemy lines . . . fighting to keep ourselves in the flow of His Providence and fighting for those we love and are responsible to . . . that they also shall stay in good stead, bringing honor and glory to the King of Holiness in all temporal affairs.  As it is in this time--the mortal march, where our works will be crowned either with shining glory or everlasting dark ignominy.

The missiles are flying, falling all around us--we are daily hit by the shrapnel, oft wounded as we take injuries in the service of our Lord; wounds that are badges of honor won on the battlefield.

The enemy meanwhile would have us be passive, relinquishing, tepid and cowering in fear, ceding victory if it were possible.  The enemy would have us shrinking, trembling in fear of him, when our only trepidation ought come from the thought of displeasing our Supreme Commander!

The enemy would have us all effeminate . . . except for our women, who he would have abandoning their natural God-given gifts and callings to instead revel in the crude, the vulgar, the crass, the ugly, followers of the Eve who rebelled and of any and all who seek to upend God's natural order and who flaunt and mock His laws.

But should everyone around us fall or fail, betray and run . . . I . . . you . . . should be prepared to stand alone refusing to turn our backs on God and His sure calling, for in Him we have an eternal friend and comrade, through good times, through evil times.  In fact, we are never alone as our Savior promised He would never leave us though we be in the midst of enemies all about, even in the enemy camp, with no worldly friend in sight--we must earnestly seek daily to recall and experience the fact of this reality, otherwise we cut ourselves off needlessly. . . .

Do not let the enemy confuse you.  Be strong, be courageous, be proud in Christ, walk upright, reject evil, champion good, fear only God . . . in love, devotion, commitment, righteously, living in faith until the end, having been shown the end from the beginning, amen!
 your brother in Christ, thomas
----------------------------------

"O eternal and everlasting God, I presume to present myself this morning before thy Divine majesty, beseeching thee to accept of my humble and hearty thanks, that it hath pleased thy great goodness to keep and preserve me the night past from all the dangers poor mortals are subject to, and has given me sweet and pleasant sleep, whereby I find my body refreshed and comforted for performing the duties of this day, in which I beseech thee to defend me from all perils of body and soul.
Direct my thoughts, words and work. Wash away my sins in the immaculate blood of the lamb, and purge my heart by thy Holy Spirit, from the dross of my natural corruption, that I may with more freedom of mind and liberty of will serve thee, the ever lasting God, in righteousness and holiness this day, and all the days of my life.
Increase my faith in the sweet promises of the Gospel. Give me repentance from dead works. Pardon my wanderings, & direct my thoughts unto thyself, the God of my salvation. Teach me how to live in thy fear, labor in thy service, and ever to run in the ways of thy commandments. Make me always watchful over my heart, that neither the terrors of conscience, the loathing of holy duties, the love of sin, nor an unwillingness to depart this life, may cast me into a spiritual slumber. But daily frame me more and more into the likeness of thy son Jesus Christ, that living in thy fear, and dying in thy favor, I may in thy appointed time attain the resurrection of the just unto eternal life. Bless my family, friends & kindred unite us all in praising & glorifying thee in all our works begun, continued, and ended, when we shall come to make our last account before thee blessed Saviour, who hath taught us thus to pray, our Father."

George Washington, Prayer Journal, Monday Morning

No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker