Thursday, June 18, 2015

The AC and His Accoutrements

Oh, I think it was 6th or 7th grade when I really started getting interested in wondering about the Anti-Christ, Armageddon, the Tribulation--"last days" stuff.  It was a major theme and driving intellectual paradigm in my way of looking at the world, my life and the future. . . .

I have a kind of funny audio tape cassette recording of me at about age 13 or 14--with a terrible head-cold . . . giving my dramatic concerns and warnings that I was convinced we were in the "last days" . . . talking about earthquakes, war and the usual signposts.  I lived in Davis, California at the time with my father, step mother and two half brothers and use to make "audio letters" to send home to my mom and grandparents and uncle Jon who lived in Salt Lake . . . and they were often laced with apocalyptic musings, warnings and predictions. . . . I've thought about converting that particular one to digital and putting up for a listen.

Anyway . . . at the time I had the fairly common evangelical view of the end times--believed we were in them--and expected there to be something like a tribulation, a world-governing Anti-Christ and government, Armageddon and then the Second Coming.

[I am less sure of those particulars nowadays, but still generally wouldn't be surprised if that's how it all ended up going.  I'm not settled eschatologically . . . landing roughly somewhere in the midst of "A-mill" . . . "post-mill" . . . partial preterist . . . believing that while all the pertinent futurist revelations/predictions of scripture pertaining to "last days" were fulfilled concerning the destruction of the temple in 70 A.D., that there ARE also predictions, warnings, descriptions etc., yet to be fulfilled which concern the end of the age--the Second Coming of Christ yet to be.  I believe that scripture is alive, "fractal", eternally deep . . . and that many passages have multiple layers of purpose and meaning and, while they can pertain just to specific events at specific places and times . . . history sort of repeats itself in cycles of similitude . . . and those same passages can also pertain to other future events, times, places. . . .]

Regarding this apparently strange "synchronicity" concerning my song "The Metropolis" and this massive surveillance platform "Metropolis" by Palantir . . . I thought I would go ahead and pretend that someone cared enough about my music and art to ask me about it--ie., it's meaning, purpose, logistics . . . etc., surrounding this particular song . . . and I will break it down as to the lyrical meanings that I'm now seeing which could quite closely describe the person, scenario and accoutrements of the Anti-Christ, since that is what the song was/is about. . . . I've always thought this were some of my best lyrics--the scope of the topic, the references, the imagery......
All glory to God, praise God, God bless.....

I'll be back in just a bit . . . to do just that... meanwhile, here are the lyrics:

The Metropolis  [written circa 1980, recorded 1988, music/lyrics "brother thomas"]

Well my fleet drove down to Hamburg to see the show
If the tire goes flat the boys are gonna let me fix it
Well I never seen a lady that I didn't care to know
And I watch them all on the worldwide video circuit

The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me

When the sun turns to black, the boys'll let me see it
When the moon turns to blood, you know I'm on my way
Well I never thought I'd be the guy that all the prophets seen
Oh but I made it with a lady and I'm thinking that Fate was her name

The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me

Drinking with Nosferatu
We just lebensraum
Who needs Krishnamurti
We'll just clown around

Well I'm sitting on a throne made of children's bones and promises
It's a cross between Camelot and Kalamazoo
Well I never thought I'd be a bloody page in history
Oh but I'm sitting on an arrow and I simply had to break it in two

The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me
The metropolis fell, the metropolis fell, the metropolis fell on me

2 comments:

Linda L. said...

I think I remember you mentioning it in the description of this song on your web site or in the song description. That is amazing how God gifted you to be able to discern how things would be so early. Side note: A female friend of mine is going to the Manti Pageant and being in a play as one of Smith's wives for the next two Fridays at the pageant as part of Tri-Grace Ministries to witness to Mormons there. I told her you would probably be there.

Linda L. said...

Tri-grace Ministries performing at Manti Pageant in Ephraim. they meet across the street from the temple by the first aid trailer at 6 p.m. each night of pageant for prayer and worship. Diane H.is my friend. I gave her your name. She hundreds of Christians attend to witness. Would be neat if you met up with her group.

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker