Monday, January 12, 2015

The Path To His Many Mansions

It is such a profound and simple thing.  And powerful . . . for real.

It is SO simple and such a close up thing to do . . . that it is missed much more often than not. . . .

So important is it . . . that between those who "get it" and those who don't . . . is the difference between life and death, heaven and hell.

One can be tricked, however, so that even among those who claim to be "believers" . . . it is the case that many banty the right words around yet continue to miss the mark.  And we know that to "miss the mark"--in the context of spiritual pursuit--is, in essence to sin. 

On top of all that, leading from all that . . . not understanding and employing this "profound and simple thing" causes the distinction between one who is pleasing to the Creator versus one who does not please the Creator.

Can there be anything more critical to understand and employ?  Only a grade-A fool would think that it is not that important to please the Creator of all that is.  Only a most delusional, myopic, self-absorbed ignoramus would shrug off the virtue in learning how to please the One who has the power of life and death, destruction and exaltation. . . .

So simple. . . .
And . . . so profound . . . because of its simplicity; and, while being the most powerful existential tool perhaps in the universe because of its availability to one and all.  It is there for a rich man to have, but the poor can have it too.  Young, old, black, white, short, tall, healthy, unhealthy, brilliant, average--it does not matter.  God has not reserved His Way only for some especially clever few, or just for those who have the money and contacts to get certain particular secrets.  He has not made it for only those who are capable of great ascetic disciplines--who are personally strong or self-controlled enough to  attain specific states of consciousness. . . .

No, the beneficent equanimity of The Lord is exemplified in His offering of this simple and profound spiritual "device" . . . where its proximity and use . . . is available to a child as well as to the accomplished professional.

It is quite simply faith, belief.  That's it.  And the more you have--the more you PUT INTO EFFECT--the more you please God and are rewarded.

You become an heir of righteousness through faith.  Who doesn't want to be righteous--legitimately, effectively righteous?  Only a fool.

And who on The Path does not want to grow in holiness, in sanctification?  It is the dream, the goal, the yearning of all who have seen the Light! 

All the other "ways" would have you work--do things--to gain in sanctification, to become more Godlike.  But these always and all fail.  What God asks is that you believe; and then what follows is that you act on what you truly believe.  Not what you CLAIM to believe, but what you actually believe.  The difference between those two is what will be judged on the last day.  Not what you said you believed, but what you really believed and then acted on in your life, whether anyone was there to see it or not.  Do you cheat on some assignment knowing that no person will know and the crime would thus be so-called "victimless"?  You do if you truly don't have belief in the God Who sees and answers all. 

And the more you trust what you say you believe and actually DO believe . . . you will find that finally, your character becomes transformed.  You finally do start--slowly but surely most likely--to think and feel and act more like the highest ideal you have in your heart as to what you want to be like.  Because of your God-given nature--being in the image of God--somewhere you long to be more like Him.  But the chasm seems so deep, so impassible, so impossible. . . .

Yet, as you EMPLOY . . . the very simple and profound "device" of faith, of genuinely believing . . . you find that at last you are starting to move . . . spiritually.

As the old saying goes, "I am not yet where I want to be . . . but truly I am no longer where I was!"

The work that there is to do . . . for the claimant (he who claims to be a "believer") is to find out just where and how much you truly do believe.  Too often we assert that we believe and have faith, yet our state of mind, our condition of heart, our thoughts and actions, worries, jealousies, resentments belie the fact that in too many areas we really DON'T believe and have faith.  We still try to have it our way--still try to finesse and maneuver with ulterior, self-seeking motives. 

We need to look deep within, unflinching to find the truth and shine the Light on those hidden corners of our being that are still holding out against God.

The more those grounds are brought into that Light and we take them back as God's territory (not our own) . . . the more we begin to enjoy the real and lasting fruits of the Spirit and the more we finally begin to grow and mature and blossom along the Walk into holy, perfect eternity.

"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him." -- Heb.11:6.

 Without faith IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE HIM!  That is a strong, absolute statement.  "It is IMPOSSIBLE to please Him!"

Too often we look for a thousand and one answers, tricks, techniques, secrets, ploys . . . to address the troubles in our life and are rarely at peace regardless of the front we portray.

But as we cede more and more of our inner ground to faith--to faith that God is good, that God is sovereign, that God loves and wants the best for us and is fully in charge whether we see all the details or not--then true, powerful, "supernatural" peace and power follows and grows and moves us surely along the Path to His many mansions.

So be it, so do it!:)
God bless!

3 comments:

Mark said...

Revelation12:5And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

To be a Man/Woman with the simple(innocent) mind of a child.

Good word!

Anonymous said...

Abraham believed God....and God said accounted it to him as righteousness.
Gal 3:6

smalls said...

Hi. I used to read this blog regularly but stopped a couple of years ago. The faith I thought I had was beginning to crumble, and the cynicism I harbored toward the world started to go increasingly in the direction of Christianity.

I never thought I had much faith, though I wanted so much to be secure in the knowledge and love of God. As a child I believed, simply. Couldn't really bring myself to 'accept Christ' until the end of high school, partly because of the crap I'd been taught about not sinning anymore after you're saved else you're eternally screwed. I finally said 'the prayer' one day. It was unexpectedly emotional, and afterwards I felt like I was getting a handle on things. I read the Bible, prayed, sinned, 'repented'... all the while I never felt like I had a relationship with Jesus, with God. There were synchronicities, the Bible seemed like a living book sometimes, and I convinced myself that I was getting sustenance in times of unbelief. For a long time I was stuck in the endless cycle of 'binge and purge', giving in to my natural urges and then begging forgiveness, over and over and.. it was this blog, along with Zeph Daniel's audios and other stuff from like-minded, that really encouraged me and gave me what I thought was a solid understanding of the Gospel. I read this quote here on your blog, I believe, from F. Fenelon:

"Thus it is not by incessant care that we become faithful and exact in the smallest things, but simply by a love which is free from the reflections and fears of restless and scrupulous souls."

That really stuck with me, and I felt I finally was able to let go of trying so hard to be a Christian and rest in the simple knowledge of God's love and sovereignty. I still love that quote, but no longer in a Christian context.

There were many things that led to the death of my faith. I dunnno, maybe I still have a tiny spark somewhere, and that's why I'm writing this. I used to fancy, when I experienced almost none of the awesome things that I'd been assured would happen after I got saved, that I was just being tested, that perhaps I would be one of the "blessed, who have not seen and yet have believed". That thought helped for a while.

About a year ago I kind of decided to take a break from the whole Jesus thing. I've been trying to simply live life, without the constant Christianese chatter in my head. Obviously, I haven't been able to turn it off completely. If I'm honest, probably one of the biggest reasons I keep looking back is fear of the future. I should know better, having seen so many dire predictions end up being dust in the wind. At least I no longer have a nauseating fear of hell. That part of my faith I don't miss. What I do miss is the surety (even in doubt) that I have the Truth and that God's got me. But I'm okay being in limbo, as it were. No pressure to 'measure up', to read the Word and pray, to listen to 'good preachin''. I realize that much of what I am leaving is nothing more than a perversion of Jesus' teachings, promulgated by men who are either ignorant of the meaning of grace or simply out to make a buck using tried-and-true methods of emotional manipulation. I don't know if I'm ready to sift through the b.s. to try to find something worth keeping. So for now, I'm letting go.

Thanks for reading. I would appreciate your thoughts on my sitch, either here in the comments or on the blog if you'd like.

smalls

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker