Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Chronicles of J: "Evil?"

If I'm not mistaken, God, as understood in the Judeo-Christian tradition, includes a component of omniscience, correct?

Why would He create a class of beings (humanity) that would, based on Biblical accounts, be such an obvious disappointment? How many times does He order the destruction of a region and demand the extermination of every living being in the area? It seems on every third page or so of The Bible we're told The Lord is displeased with one or more of us for one or more reasons... it makes me wonder why He bothered creating us if we were going to be such a consistent disappointment -especially if He had so much as an inkling of suspicion in advance that this would be the case? 
J is asking the great fundamental questions . . . . I'd expected we'd be getting to this one soon, and yes, here it is . . . . I've thought a lot about it myself for a long time.  One of the attractions to me in the Eastern religions and words from related mystics was, in fact, how they dealt with the problem of evil and suffering . . . .
Since being born again and delving into God's Word for answers . . . the very asking of such questions takes on a different meaning . . . which I will attempt to address here shortly.
God bless you, btw!  Soon enough we will be together in paradise!
 
-------------------------------------------------------
Third question:

"I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things." -Isaiah 45:7.

This has been asked repeatedly throughout the ages, but... Why does evil exist? What purpose could it possibly serve?

One can argue that evil needs to exist in order for us to understand what is good. However... let me put it this way: I like pineapple. A lot. But I don't imagine I'd care for the taste of, say, canine feces. My liking pineapple is predicated upon having had a positive experience with it involving my taste buds, but I do not require having an experience with canine feces to conclude that I'm not going to care for it -at all. The analogy is somewhat flimsy, but you get the idea: There needn't be a polar opposite for everything in order to conclude one thing is clearly preferable or superior to another. If only good existed -and we were ignorant of and unburdened by evil... what could be wrong with that arrangement?

No comments:

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker