Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sheep and Goats

Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.  --Isa. 43:7

 But now thus says the Lord, he who created you, O Jacob, he who formed you, O Israel: “Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine.  --Isa. 43:1

The sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  --John 10:3

I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me...  --John 10:14

--------------------------------------------

Did Jesus come for His sheep?  And why were the sheep created--indeed, why were any created?  For God's glory.  He has a Sovereign plan and Jesus will not lose a single sheep given Him by the Father.

"All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, just as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats."  --Mat. 25:32

When we look at God through the dark lens of our fallen, confused, self-centered nature, we find it hard to accept that God chooses some . . . and not others.  That He made sheep AND goats.  But I get an inkling of His ways when I look at creation, at nature.  Why are there so many . . . billions of little insects . . . and animals, exquisitely designed, each one of them?  They live and move about--apparently with some seeming will--then die.  But do they really have will--free will?  No.  They are driven by their natures--by what some call "instinct."  Hunger, cold or heat, procreation . . . drive them about.  They are "alive" . . . . They have individual lives different from every other . . . .

But do they go to Heaven?  Are they eternal?  No.  God has HIS own creative purposes in them and they clearly exhibit His creative, intelligent glory along with the rest of creation slated for eventual destruction . . . .

So it is with the "living dead."  They move around, live for a time, make some trails and leave some product, but, they are just as driven, just as compelled by their "instinct" or nature to do the things they do.  Dead in their sins, it can't really be said that they have "free will" any more than the spirit-less creatures.  UNTIL they are born again . . . given a NEW heart . . . and finally gain LIFE.  I suspect that only then . . . is when something like "free will" begins.  Before that time all you have is a dead, God-hating, child of the devil in full-on rebellion against the Creator.

But I want to speak more on His glory and how ALL OF THIS . . . is designed for that; and who are we to second-guess, criticize and attempt to imagine a "better" way He achieves His ends?

3 comments:

Lee in Tn said...

Brother Thomas,
I guess I am at a place now where I see that God created both sheep and goats....wheat and tares to grow and live together. And since God already knows which way we go...which way we use our 'free will', in the end (here), He created each of us exactly the way He wanted for His purpose and Glory.

Jesus said the wheat and tares grow together...that there are sheep and there are goats. And I can see that according to His Plan, the tares do not become wheat, and the goats do not become sheep. But we must go through this process here. Some were made for Him...some were not. And we may not know which...but He does, and does not lose a single one. We participate, struggle and we may go with Him, die to self (I'm still working on that part to allow Him to do His work in me)....according to His Will and His timing....if it is even to be at all. And like you do Bro T, we are to try to show others the Glory and Salvation of our Lord, the Risen Lamb, Jesus, and the Gospel message to all that we can.

Just my current thoughts on this subject....

Many Blessings!
Lee

Anonymous said...

Since "gay rights" are in the news, I've been "debating" (polite term, that) with several brainwashed people. My contention is God, as creator, knows how the parts are best assembled.

I was asked if I was certain that I was going to heaven and not to hell (as if there is a hell", they contend). My reply, while I am certainly not without fault, God has provided ruled for life: absolutes. I would like to believe I will be judged as doing the best I can to follow the laws of God, although we all fall short. "Their" reply was, well everyone believes they will be forgiven. Personally, I believe certain absolutes such as homosexuality will not. ~seeker

Mark said...

Thinking about a dream my brother had one night as a little boy.He said he woke one night and rolled over and there was a Ram sitting there looking at him.Sometimes a Ram is known as a bighorn sheep.....Sometimes a mountain Goat

God bless

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker