Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Hands

As I awoke this morning . . . and was feeling the slight numbness and (arthritic?) pain that is fairly regularly in my arms after sleep (yay law of entropy and everything tending to decay!lol) . . . I suddenly became extremely grateful for hands . . . achy, calloused, or not . . . .

I thanked God for hands, for my hands . . . and imagined what this life would be like without them.  Oh, there is so much we take for granted!  There are a thousand and one wants and desires and longings that can haunt a person through their days--certain things that didn't pan out, unachieved dreams, wishes, deep hungers and passions . . . that never quite arrive fulfilled . . . .

But this one simple thing:  What if you suddenly had no hands?  Maybe they were taken in an accident, an attack, or . . . some are born with them barely working . . . .

For a few moments, I thought of all the things I couldn't do, that are daily "necessities", if I had no hands . . . YIKES!

I thanked God again!

I was also then vaguely aware of the million other little (and not so little) things, crowded there, huddling in the darkness just beyond the periphery of my consciousness, which we similarly take for granted--that we don't think of or thank God for . . . .

Lungs, light, fingernails, rain, flowers, flagellar motors, children's laughter, puppies, printers, reading . . . .

But hands--oh my goodness--HANDS!  The things you couldn't do for yourself . . . without . . . hands!

>>>>>>
It also occurred to me . . . . That simple-minded protest and argument, made by unimaginative and black-and-white thinking minds, "If there was a God, why didn't He make a better world?"

I've actually heard some of these sadly arrogant simpletons (who fancy themselves as "scientific") describe condescendingly all of the flaws and mistakes contained in human design--how back bones aren't made well, how eyes could be designed better, how feet aren't made quite right . . . etc.

Sometimes, in a flash of intuitive revelation . . . of sorts . . . I see things. For a moment, as I considered hands . . . it was given to me . . . to apprehend . . . that even if hands were designed different, or if they were not created at all . . . EVERYTHING else would be different.  In God's intricate design and creation . . . the "butterfly effect" . . . is in full effect.  EVERYTHING He has made, including this world that was prone to sin and the fall that resulted . . . is PERFECTLY constructed--every movable part, every chemical, every weight and measure, every hand and all that every hand does or doesn't do--is PRECISELY made . . . for the maximum intended effect for what God wanted to do and what He wanted to result!  I doubt that you could change a single thing--not a hair out of place, without it ultimately affecting the rest of the whole creation . . . in time ("butterfly effect") . . . .

But, unimaginative, simple, black-and-white thinking minds, prone to self-idolatry and pride . . . tend to not think that deep.  They glom on to the half-baked, disastrously un-proven, shallow fairytale of evolution, for instance, and are content to move through the day, thankful (if at all) for dead, random, pointless, meaningless accidental forces and matter . . . .

More on this . . . in a bit . . . .

1 comment:

Mark said...

As I was on the mend from my stroke I was never more thankful then when I could finaly button my pants and shirt again!

Every day!

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker