Monday, February 18, 2013

Of Visceral, Vibrant Imputation

Joel Beeke in an interview was asked if his teachings on the necessity of a vigorous, daily, sincere prayer life . . . perhaps expected too much of believers. 

"Does . . . maybe this kind of intensity question peoples' assurance a bit much?" . . . .

"Well," said Joel, "I think people need their assurance questioned . . . . It is loving [to challenge believers' sincerity and effort . . . ."

-----------------------------
I heard that interview last night . . . and thought it is the same thing I am trying to do here.  First, I dare do so, because I am applying the same vigor to my own prayer life--to my own need to be fully trusting in the Lord, along with believing . . . . Any time demands it, but especially with all that is going on in the world right now and anticipating some of the trials and events soon coming upon us.

Second . . . because I sure do like it when my own efforts and sincerity are challenged . . . as there is nothing I want more than to be pleasing to God and responding in the Spirit; and if I am fooling myself on some level, I want to know--I want it corrected . . . .

It is well time to put away the things of childishness and walk as a mature, adult in the Word--in His life and Spirit . . . . Sentimentality, emotionalism, superficial conviction, false conversion . . . will be of no help, no anchor . . . in these storms . . . .

We ought be acquainting ourselves with death--its inevitability in the physical . . . . It's necessity in terms of the old self . . . . It's threat used by the enemy to scare us into compromise, blasphemies, rejection of the Lord . . . . The reality of our future hope--of the Heavenly City of God--must gain in preeminence in our daily expectation--as a present experience, compared to the passing temporality of this fallen state . . . knowing and living with assurance that we are redeemed and will be resurrected . . . in the blink of eye . . . compared with eternity . . . .

These must not just be vague thoughts . . . dull-gray outlines, irrelevant in the now . . . . But instead, as we are consumed with love, with faith . . . in the knowledge and promises of His Word, the glory present in His presence . . . and the glory to come . . . should be crackling with energy, color, visceral imputation . . .  vibrancy  . . . within our prayer and communing life . . . .

Myself, I relish correction and encouragement . . . by strong hand or gentle breeze, and if there is any sting, I am grateful, for there is the sign of some hidden stronghold I have kept secret in some chamber of vanity and self delusion . . . . Bring it on!  More light, more strait and narrow, more life, more Spirit, more holiness . . . less of grousing, fallen "king me"!

3 comments:

Mark said...



"I beseech the lord",....."SHOW ME YOUR GLORY?!!!"

Exo 33

Anonymous said...

I don't get the visceral component laden with violence and contempt in every aspect of our society... Is this a sign of the end? when pyschopathic tendencies overtake every aspect.... and men are prone to respond.

Anonymous said...

elfI agree with you last comment for sure, but brace yourslf and be careful of what you ask. You will most likely recieve this request. Enjoy your stripes. In prayer always

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker