Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Where Are We Now?

"Time may change me, but I can't trace time . . . . " Bowie, "Changes".

So, David Bowie has broken years of silence and reclusiveness . . . to suddenly appear with a new single "Where Are We Now", and new album . . . . Which has quite surprised all his fans . . . including myself.  I really thought after his heart attack in 2004 . . . he was done, perhaps even to have suffered brain damage.

His new single . . . is . . . quite melancholy, "Where Are We Now" . . . taking a nostalgic look at his past, especially to his time with Iggy Pop in Berlin when he made the landmark albums "Heroes" and "Low" . . . .

"Time . . . is waiting in the wings . . . he speaks of senseless things, his trick is you and me . . . . " Bowie, "Time".


[the pic on the wall above current bowie . . . is bowie in about 1973 on the left, avante garde poet, writer William Burroughs on the right]


Quite young Bowie was aware of the passing of time.  He wrote of it often in his early songs like Changes and Time . . . . You could tell that he was quite aware that the ephemeris glory of sudden fame, beauty and stardom . . . were not to last forever.  When I was in the music business and myself getting close to the higher echelons of power--getting offered a recording deal from a British label who wanted to break me on the charts in the UK, then come back to hit the charts in the U.S. . . . I too was well aware of time . . . and how important were the choices I was to make.  I had at a young age made a vow to God that I would never let my personal dream (of being a rock star/musician) come ahead of my moral and spiritual duties and calling . . . .

When the choice came, I had to turn my back on my dream, knowing that if I went any further, it would have likely been the end of my budding, young family, marriage . . . and the likely loss of my soul . . . .

The decision was hard, very hard . . . and while I did make it . . . I wasn't totally "in it" . . . and there was a bit of a prolonged period afterward where I yet straddled the two worlds . . . this world and that . . . .  Which is a dangerous, painful, tumultuous place to be, on that "fence" . . . . Over time . . . I was able to make the break complete--or, rather, the LORD made the break complete, coming to rescue me at the bottom of a well of self destruction, painful nostalgia, half regret and confusion.

I look at Bowie . . . and know that he did NOT make that decision . . . which he was indeed thinking about at the time . . . whether to become a monk or . . . a rock star . . . . He chose the world, fame and fortune, adulation, self power . . . . And now his days are winding down.  He is no fool.  I believe he understand the bargain he made and is now recounting it, seeing the end coming nigh. 

What does it profit to gain the world and lose your soul?  Not much . . . indeed nothing . . . and worse in the end.  This I know and it chills and terrifies me more and more lately, what so many people are doing with this life, wasting it, frittering it away, looking to the world, to the god of this world, for temporary heaven . . . while ignoring or even mocking . . . the ramification and outright judgment to come in the World hereafter . . . .

Time is fleeting.  It goes fast . . . . I am so grateful the Lord found and retrieved me and now gives me eyes to see, ears to hear . . . and growing, heart of flesh . . . spiritual discernment . . . power in faith . . . peace . . . and joy . . . and a zeal and hope . . . for the "future" . . . .

Melancholy, brilliant, ennui . . . covered in artistic existentialist nuance . . . hailed by critics . . . one last blast . . . while sliding into the Abyss . . . gives me the chills, the heebie-jeebies . . . .
It's not too late, however, David . . . .

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/where-are-we-now-david-bowie-breaks-decade-of-silence-with-new-single-on-his-66th-birthday-8441973.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2013/jan/08/david-bowie-last-greats


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you enjoy this as mush as I do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Shi8fPtjFdc

Blessings to you and yours, as always

~seeker

Anonymous said...

Yes, Bowie went for the world but,it is still not too late for him to repent,ask forgiveness and make Yeshua his Lord.

John

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker