Tuesday, January 1, 2013

The New Crying Thing . . . .

I think it has something to do with getting older . . . . Although, it isn't a totally new phenomena--that is, hearing or seeing something beautiful . . . and tearing up.  But, use to be far more rare . . . for me . . . . Heh . . . .

It happens most every time now at some point when listening to good, Spirit-filled Christian music.  For instance, a typical time was when we were pulling into the parking lot at the University building where we attend the "church of the misfit toys" bible study . . . and we had a Newsboys cd playing--a band we really have come to like a lot . . . . And "He Reigns" came on . . . and I just lost it there, pulling in the lot, behind my sunglasses, quivering breaths . . . the beauty of that song, the majesty of it with the Spirit of God present . . . . Overwhelmed . . . .

The pastor of the "church of the misfit toys" . . . took a much needed break in December so we've been checking out another Jesus-loving church, which Isaac has loved as they have lots of people his age--a fun and legit youth group which he has been attending as well (that's where he spent New Years' last night . . . at which I had to go pick him up at 3:00am! . . . which, I thoroughly didn't mind . . . seeing him finally make some friends and have a safe, Christian environment to socialize in . . . . )

Anyway . . . . I usually lose it a bit at that church's worship time when we are singing along to the praise songs . . . .

Or, sometimes, it just happens when I'm driving alone and thinking about God . . . about my wife, the boys, our Spiritual trajectory . . . Jesus . . . .

Then there are the times . . . when . . . just plain ol' God-given talent, sincerely performed . . . grabs me and I wrench a bit . . . emotional.  What is this . . . a "heart of flesh" . . . taking hold . . . :)!?  could be . . . . . . . Praise God! . . . . . .

Now, I'm a sucker for good pop songs . . . and also soulful singing . . . piano talent . . . . Silly me, I always liked the song "Love Song" by Sarah Bereilles . . . and curious, having heard that song being played again on the radio lately . . . I looked about YouTube to see what other stuff she has done . . . and came across a version she did of one of my old all-time fave songs "Sittin' On The Dock of the Bay" . . . .
Argh . . . so much of new music . . . and art in general . . . I find vapid, superficial, pretentious, mimicking . . . that it is almost shocking to see someone with genuine, profound talent . . . a sincere songwriter . . . not just someone trying to be "folksy" . . . or "new new wave" . . . or "classic heavy metal" . . . or quaffing that "sincere singer-songwriter" 'tude and costume . . . jadedly . . . just to get famous for fame's sake . . . .
Me, I like real artists . . . "speaking" and writing and performing from the heart--not just to cop a certain style or look . . . with their empty, pseudo-deep sounding lyrics . . . . So much of what is brought to the market now is manipulative, exploitive, fake, digitally enhanced/corrected . . . . Never mind the sheer truck loads of outright perversity, hedonism, vulgar and low-life slop out there . . . .

So, watching this performance . . . by a person . . . who obviously loves and needs to create music, rather than to use it as a means to just get attention . . . hit me, lol, this morn . . . with that old-man-tearing-up-stick . . . mentioned above . . . . right about the soaring "left my home in Georgia . . . headed for the Frisco Bay . . . . " part . . . .
The new "heart of flesh" ever more prone to tearful appreciation of God's creative beauty . . . wherever He manifests it and through whomever . . . . ?

Odd way, perhaps . . .  to start the New Year . . . but, fwiw here are two examples of songs I heard recently . . . that . . . well . . . caused me afore-described slight seizure of emotion, lol . . . . .[The other song is Christian--one I am surprised to have not heard before . . . until just recently . . . called "The Beautiful Letdown" . . . by Switchfoot . . . .



1 comment:

Linda L. said...

I'm glad to hear Isaac has found a good Christian environment where he is making friends and having fun. Sarah has a beautiful voice. I listened to both the youtubes. The Beautiful Letdown Song has some deep lyrics about dying to self. Really neat song by Switchfoot. I tear up when I hear a Christian song that moves me in the Spirit. Also, on the rare occasion I randomly meet a sincere fellow Christian and we can talk of godly things, and wish each other Godspeed for real in life's journey.

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker