Monday, February 27, 2012

Clarified . . . .

"I am in sympathy with the Orthodox--the long tradition, shown and explained in the Bible--in admiring and honoring the saints and missionaries through the ages into today . . . who have renounced position, wealth, comfort, all for the preaching and exemplifying of the Gospel. Of course, we do not worship men and women, and I only pray to God; but I warmly recognize and gain insight and light by observing and studying how GOD has worked through His people--His called and devoted servants in this fallen realm!"

Thanks Lee, yeah that's probably it and I can see why it could be taken like that the way I worded it.  In writing:   "Of course, we do not worship men and women, and I only pray to God" . . . I was using a sort of "royal we".... I was NOT saying ie., "we . . . real Christians . . . as opposed to the Orthodox" . . .

 I meant "we"--as in "Believers", whether Orthodox or not . . . do not worship men and women . . . when we are admiring and honoring saints etc.  The whole paragraph was actually an argument in support of the inclination of veneration of saints and holy people.  By writing "I only pray to God" . . . I was trying to emphasize the point further saying, in effect, that while people with the Spirit of God working through them can be honored and admired, of course I . . . or, "we" as Bible based Believers. . . do not pray to them, --should not. It's kind of funny . . . because I actually expected to get blowback from "fundamentalist" correctors . . . getting on me for being too sympathetc with ie., the Orthodox and Catholic views on this matter . . . heh . . . . :)

Anyway, thanks for finding that for me and I can see why it could be misunderstood the way I worded it without further clarification . . . .

2 comments:

Michael Soaring Eagle said...

I am not Catholic nor ever have been, but I bought a statue of St. Francis to put in my garden....any friend of God and animals is a friend of mine!

Anonymous said...

whether Orthodox or not . . . do not worship men and women . . . veneration of saints and holy people.

You know it's kind of strange to me, how there's no problem talking to the guy next door but if your neighbor who has passed through death (death is overthrown!) and is now alive with Christ Jesus, then somehow it's forbidden to direct a prayer/thought toward that person. It's as though they can "say" they believe it's possible to be with God but are unwilling to follow that believe into the logical conclusions.

Brother Thomas ©2015

MySpace Tracker